Thursday, December 6, 2007

Older, Wiser...

10/23/07
The semester just keeps getting busy!
My Mom just turned 60 years old on the 18th and I can't believe that she is that old. Granted, 60 really isn't that old in the grand scheme of life, as some people live to be 100. I just am fascinated with how much she has witnessed.
She was born in 1947 and grew up during such an interesting time in the United States.
My Mom was a small child during the McCarthyism time period, was in middle and high school during the 1960s, and was married in the 70s.
I love how much of a resource my mother is to my teaching. She has seen so much and is willing to talk about all of it.
I think by using my Mom as an example of Oral history, and even allowing my students to interview my Mom and ask her questions about the 1960s and 1970s especially.

Oral history is such a rich tradition and I hope to instill the love that I have for it, in my students!

No comments: